As most know, I have wanted to become a teacher for quite some time.I remember countless times making my little brothers play school with me as I created little workbooks, had recess, and took roll. Well this is a bit different but after this week, I have fallen in love with my profession all over again! I couldn't be happier with the decision I have made, the only thing that could make it possibly better is if I decide to go into Educational Psychology. I have considered this for a semester or two but yesterday I had an experience that made me think about it even more. My buddy, Kahu, the troubled boy I decided to work with, came to school yesterday looking very down. I asked how his swim practice was and he told me he didn't go because his dad wouldn't let him! This made me so mad because this boy needed the swim team, he needs the structure, and the fun activity, and the sense of accomplishment! Anyway, it was swim sports day where the upper grade classes compete in all sorts of swimming relays ALL DAY, and he didn't have a towel or something but after his teacher talked to him, they must have sorted something out because he ended up getting to compete and I've never seen him so excited. Well the day went on and his dad pulled up on his bike and started talking to Toni, Kahu's teacher. All I heard was a "sorry" and a "I will get him." I have never seen a child's face so full of fear, sadness, and worry all at once. He quietly walked over as his dad handed him a lunch (thank goodness because hes gone without a lunch multiple times). I don't know what was said but he had his head down the entire time and he walked back to his spot holding back tears. He just started crying and Toni took him out to talk to him but the worry and sadness in his eyes brought tears to mine and right then I realized that this was real life, kids all over live in worry and sadness just like him. I felt very helpless and wanted so bad to grab him and give him a huge hug! That was the moment I realized I wanted to do more, and maybe being a school psychologist would do it but I will never forget his poor little face! I love that boy, he has the sweetest heart; it seems the ones that come across so tough, always do!
In fact, he taught me how to play touch rugby the other day at recess! I accidentally ran the wrong way and oh was I made fun of!The boys thought I was pretty amusing but loved showing me a game of their country, I am teaching them how to play Horse tomorrow, they are pretty excited! Along with sports, I am asked countless times about knowing famous people. In fact, I have been asked if I am Justin Bieber's sister because I look like him, and then I was asked if I know or am related to Beyonce, yes, Beyonce. . .see the resemblance? For your enjoyment, more things these sweet children have said are "Hey how old is your mom?" "She is---" (age disclosed for my mothers privacy) "Whoa she is an old lady!!" haha Do not worry mother, I don't t think your'e old. Oh I have been asked many times why my hair is different colors, why am I short if i am older than the other girls, and if I could speak American to them! They are always inviting me to swim, play at recess, and come to their parties! They love sharing there interests, especially their language. One girl writes me a list of Samoan words and their meanings and asks me to study them everyday and she will add to them, its actually fantastic!
Anyway, this is getting long but lastly, I went to their parent night tonight which was pretty fun. It was interesting to get to meet them, and ti made me realize in 7 months I will have to do that myself, kind of makes me nervous! They have the coolest school though, always singing, and dancing in Maori, I love it!
I must end on the best experience so far. . .something you would NEVER see in the states: a older guy teacher strip down to JUST his briefs to compete in a teacher swim competition!! I love New Zealand!
No comments:
Post a Comment