Wednesday, February 9, 2011

South Island Magic!

Where to even begin. . .not having a computer for 10 days full of adventure will make for a very long blog, I will condense as much as I can. I guess I will start from day 1 and add more pictures this weekend when I have more!
Day 1: Woke up super early, grabbed my one bag I was allowed to take and waited on the curb! We arrived in Queenstown which is absolutely gorgeous! It is a town enveloped in mountains and a HUGE lake surrounding it!  We then headed over to the shotover jet which was one of the funnest things I have ever done! It is crazy, the driver heads right for the rocks and spins us as we are driving through a skinny river! After that, we headed to Arrowtown, a small old fashioned town and looked around in the shops. We then just relaxed and booked all our adventures, including skydiving, which was the craziest feeling to finally be paying for it. I knew right then there was no turning back!
Welcome to Queenstown!



Day 2: We woke up nice and early and BAM, 8 of us were headed to jump out of an airplane! I have never been so excited, wasn't scared one bit surprisingly, I literally could not sleep, I woke up 12 times in the night! The drive to the jumping site seemed to take forever! We strapped in, got our instruction, and off we went! The instructors were great, made us feel so comfortable! I was the third to jump out so I got to see the first two! As I watched the first girl jump, more like fall out, I had the greatest feeling of excitement, it was finally real, I have been wanting to do that forever! I hung over the edge and he counted to three and there I was, falling in air! It was the most amazing feeling ever, I laughed the entire way down. When he pulled the shoot I got to steer for a bit, and he pretended he let go, that was the first bit of nervousness I felt! haha As we glided down it was just relaxing, and gorgeous, great time to just think. It was weird to think that we were just floating in air with nothing hanging on to us! I recommend this to anyone and everyone, I can guarantee that won't be the last time! Don't worry I have a video :) The rest of the day wasn't as cool, we went to Glenarchy to see some Lord of the Rings sites, then dinner, wow we had Fergburger! It is a famous burger place, they are huge, size of a plate! They are amazing though.
SO EXCITED!

Ready to go!

You can't tell but these are huge! Okay, i admit, I had to split one!


Day 3: Well we woke up early to again, jump off something. This time all 16 of us decided to jump of a bridge, the worlds first bungee site, historical right? I will admit, I was scared out of my mind to do this. Knowing my fate is in my own hands! Me and Anna did it together which was so fun! I thought I would hesitate at the top but I didnt! He counted 3-2-1 and off we went! Also another amazing feeling, and we even had a rainbow when we jumped, experience of a lifetime! Later that night we went on the Luge, which is similar to the alpine slides but you have more freedom on the tracks and its more fun!








Day 4: Today we traveled to Milford Sound. It was basically a beautiful boat ride, saw dolphins, and huge waterfalls! It started raining at the end and we say thousands of waterfalls. It is said to have over 10,00 waterfalls at one time! So green, so pretty! That took all day because of traveling and what not! Oh and i will never have another PB&J as long as I live, i ate one too many and got motion sick during the eating of one!

Milford Sound, gorgeous!




Day 5: Today was my Birthday over here! WE woke up and went on a 6 hour bike ride around the gorgeous lake! Little did we know it turned into a mountain bike ride, so intense, my legs were burning! It was gorgeous though and we stopped and at lunch on a little beach and stopped at many cool outlooks on the way. Then a couple girls came with me to eat sushi, ate another Fergburger, had gelatto for dessert, and they also gave me a raspberry dessert, sang to me and we went dancing later that night! The highlight though would have to be the Asians that started taking pictures of me as I danced around while they sung to me outside in the square. It was hilarious! Like what are they going to tell people back home, "hey look at this funny white girl, it was her birthday!"
Birthday Bike ride!

LOVE! Our signature pose!

You cant tell but i'm putting up 21, my age!

Taking a break!

SUSHI YUM!

Again, 21!! best gelato ever, pineapple and wild berry!


Day 6: We arrived in Christchurch and went straight to the market, looked around the town, got familiar with the area then that night went to a HUGE (10,00 people) concert in the park. It was a celebration for Waitangi day (compare to our 4th of july). It was amazing, Maori performances, classical performances, the military sang, and fireworks!
Happy Waitangi Day!


Day 7: Church in Christchurch, people=most friendly people I have ever met! Went on a drive around the town and up the mountains to overlook the city! Gorgeous country!


Day 8: Went to a small French town, Akoroa, in the pouring rain! It was an adventure, pretty sure we almost slid off the cliffs in our crazy vans many times! Lovely day though! WE then went to the museum and arts center in Christchurch and then made spaghetti and had Tim Tam slams!!! Fun relaxing night!
TIM TAM SLAMS!




Day 9: BEACH DAY!! WE went to the beach in New Brighton and were there for probably 6 hours! I love the beach, it was a perfect day, relaxing, playing games, walking along the pier, and enjoying our last full day on the south island.
New Brigthon Beach!



Day 10: Sad last day! We went around the botanical gardens and took tons of picutres becuase we had tons of time! It was gorgeous though! I becmae a duck whisperer, those ducks are fearless, fed them right out of my hands! WE then went to the cathedral and experienced a bit more of downtown then off we went to the airport! I was sad to leave but excited to get back "home" and I lvoe that Auckland feels like home now!
Cathedral!



Crazy trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment