Saturday, March 12, 2011

Only 26 days. . .

Weekends in Aotearoa are always fantastic, especially because it gives our minds a break from the stress of teaching. After these past 4 weeks, being in the classroom that I am in, and experiencing and getting to know these kids and the way they learn, or lack of learning in many cases, I realize I feel bad for all those people who go into teaching just because they think it will be the easiest and most practical. . . well are they in for a surprise! I have realized many things since teaching, two of which are, 1st that I absolutely love the career I have chosen and there would be no way in this world I would or could handle this if I didn't love it, and 2nd,  I have grown up in a bubble, I always knew there would be tough children to handle, but didn't realize to what extent. These children here are so sweet, yet have so much background baggage that they get angry so easily and are not easy to teach. Therefore, most of them are extremely low, there is a group of them who can not do basic addition, read, or tell time and they are 9 and 10 years old. I came here thinking I would get to have experience with the older grades so I would be more prepared in how to teach long division and multiplication etc., only to find out I have to teach the basics again. Despite that fact, it has been an amazing experience thus far, and taught me how to accommodate for every type of learner, especially the violent, and defiant ones! These kids need serious catching up and that is what I intend to do! 
Anyway, Friday was more or a relaxing, catch up on homework day but we couldn't leave it at though. So, four of us took a bus up to Takapuna beach to watch the sunset and eat dinner. We chose Pita Pit because a good friend/teacher told us that if we go to that beach, we HAVE to ear pita pit at it. So we did, and it was delicious. I thought it was funny I have lived in Provo for three years and now I am clear across the world the first time i try Pita Pit, well it was worth it! It was a lovely relaxing adventure! 
Saturday, we went to the infamous Pasifika festival which was full of traditional foods, music, dance, etc. They had all the different islands set up like Tonga, Tahiti, Fiji, Samoa etc. We tried traditional Samoan pancakes, pork buns, and a pineapple drink all thanks to mum who kept brining it one by one! It was all actually pretty good! The night ended with Tatiana cuddling up with me as Neeley read some stories. That is the only thing to calm her down, she is a little monkey, always jumping on us, climbing, hopping, dancing, you name it! I love these kids and am going to miss their funny little personalties! Only 1 month (26 days)  left, feels like its only been a couple weeks, time goes by too fast but I will be ready to get back to my real life by then I'm sure, but not quite yet!! I still have much to do, including finish teaching, doing baptisms in the temple which will be a highlight, go to Rotorua, see glow worms, go black water rafting, zorbing, go to the very northern tip of NZ, go to the top of the sky tower, see another rugby game, and much much more! It will be a bust but lovely last month here in NZ, I couldn't be luckier! 
Before our dinner on the beach!

Um you have to have a classic foot picture of course!

Lovin' the nightlife on the beack. . .
The Pasifika festival
This is random, but I thought it was funny, its my one little favorite sock drying on the line, all by itself. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment